This may not be so Off-Topic as the following is in "The Burial of the Dead"
in the "Book of Common Prayer:"

   I am Resurrection and I am Life, says the Lord.
   Whoever has faith in me shall have life,
   even though he die.
   And everyone who has life,
   and has committed himself to me in faith,
   shall not die for ever.
-----------------------

The quote used above is from John 11.

If one believes in Christ and in this statement by him then
death should not be feared, even though the believer is a sinner
and performs no good acts.  This frees the believer to live
in the here-and-now.

Regards,
    Rick Parker

P.S. Below is an excerpt from pages 212 and 213 of "The Power of Myth"
by Joseph Campbell with Bill Moyers (a transcript of a television
series.)  It also discusses the value of faith (with some humor.)

MOYERS: I'll tell you what the most gripping scripture in the
Christian New Testament is for me: "I believe. Help thou my unbelief."
I believe in this ultimate reality, that I can and do experience
it. But I don't have answers to my questions. I believe in the
question, Is there a God?

CAMPBELL: A couple of years ago, I had a very amusing experience. I
was in the New York Athletic Club swimming pool, where I was
introduced to a priest who was a professor at one of our Catholic
universities. So after I had had my swim, I came and sat in a lounging
chair in what we call the "horizontal athlete" position, and the
priest, who was beside me, asked,

"Now, Mr. Campbell, are you a priest?"

I answered, "No, Father."

He asked, "Are you a Catholic?"

I answered, "I was, Father."

Then he asked -- and I think it interesting that he phrased the
question in this way -- "Do you believe in a personal god?"

"No, Father," I said.

And he replied, "Well, I suppose there is no way to prove by logic the
existence of a personal god."

"If there were, Father," said I, "what then would be the value of faith?"

"Well, Mr. Campbell," said the priest quickly, "it's nice to have met
you." And he was off.

I felt I had executed a jujitsu throw.