When he said he had considered being a Buddhist, he also said he chose
Christianity as the form of religion of his time and place.
(paraphrase)  He was very well read in Eastern religion.
Nancy

"Eliot studied eastern religions. Why did he choose a
millenarian faith and how is that reflected in the
poems? This sounds like a question set for an
examination. However I really do not know the answer
to this and am asking for information."

I think Eliot didn't want to give up his identity as a
Christian and a European, for it would be abandoning
his roots.  That he was in the verge of abandoning it,
but didn't is worth studying, for, I believe, it
throws light on many of his Christian beliefs.

Within Christianity, why he chose one form over
another, is something I cannot understand, for I am
not familiar with the belief systems.  But I am not so
sure if Buddhism 'focuses on a preparation of another
world', nor about the Upanishadic Hindu Religion.
Such a concept seems to me to be a core idea of the
Abrahmaic Religions.

This article might be interesting to you, for it makes
a note on such influences in his poetry:

http://www.svabhinava.org/abhinava/solanki/TSEliot-frame.htm