I came across an interesting observation.  I would
like to know how the list members would look at it:

-------------------------------

I guess I'm just stating the obvious, but I am in awe
of how profoundly Christian, in a conservative sense,
this country is. So different from Europe.

For those unfamiliar with America, the more educated
coastal states voted for Kerry and the less educated
middle states for Bush. It wasn't the Iraq war they
were voting for but 'conservative (i.e. Christian)
values'.
That seems to be the consensus of the journalists.

Those blasting conservative Christianity had better
take this into account, given America's role in the
world.

I feel so disappointed. When the 'exit polls' seemed
to be predicting some kind of revolution, I had
secret, foolish thoughts that maybe some magical
change of consciousness was occurring, which
might ultimately move this country in the direction
of embracing Eastern wisdom, etc. I feel like an
idiot.

Here is a hypothesis for explaining the strength of
Christianity: It is not so 'tamasic' (dark) as Islam,
so we don't have the cultural and political disaster
of the Middle East, but it is not 'sattvic' in the
sense of embracing an Eastern mystical approach
to spirituality. Therefore, the 'lumpenmasses' are
ruled by inertia, tradition, group identity and
emotional slogans from a president who has never
been accused of being thoughtful or intellectual.