From: Carrol Cox

I think one of the reasons I have never been able to take much 17th c.
religious verse in more than small quantities is that this compulsion
often characterizes it. (Herbert, Donne's specifically religious verse,
Crahaw, Vaughn.) I rather prefer Jonson, Milton, Rochester from that
century. I have, for example, found admirable Milton's inability to
finish "The Passion."
Are you losing out on Donne's religious wit?
When he confesses his sinfulness to to God:
"When thou has done, thou hast not done, for I have more."

I always wondered if Shakespeare was countering him when
he (S) said "What's done is done, and cannot be undone/
But let the frame of things disjoint...."

Cheers,
Peter.