I'm certainly in emotional agreement with you
here, Nancy. Even though I am a Christian and more
than happy to share my faith with those interested,
I find in-your-face proselytising very offensive,
very counterproductive to its purported end. I am
much more moved by how people live. Faith without
works is dead. Mother Teresa converted huge numbers
of people to love, by loving, and that is the greatest
commandment. One is not saved merely by a formula of
words, even though indeed I believe, one is not freed from
one's own sin/shadow/inner destructiveness, merely
by one's own will. I do believe transcendent inter-
vention is needed there, but I don't put the Holy
Spirit into a box as to how it gets done. In the Catholic
Church, especially on Good friday, we pray for the
success of all religions, and ways, including those
who do not follow a god, but believe and follow the truth.
That doesn't make us any better or worse than anyone else,
just, for me, palatable. We're learning.

There are many flavours/forms of southern baptist style
religion, including, I believe, GWB's. Every now and then
I catch a bible thumper on my big satellite dish denouncing
the Catholic Church as an instrument of the devil.
Doesn't sound very Chritian to me. I caught an interview with
a Lutheran minister in Germany, in discussion about his
church's inability to connect with southern US churches.
He said it seems to him that they put justice before love.

P.