From: Rickard A. Parker
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: 2004-Nov-04 11:44 AM
Subject: OT - Mohammedism

William Gray wrote:

> I don't know a lot about Islam, but that sounds like a fair call
> -- Mohammed would seem to be the center. Right? Is this controversial?

Mohammed probably once was considered by Christians to be the
center of his religion and thus the term "Mohammedism" was coined.
Muslims frown on this.

A snippet from http://www.religioustolerance.org/isl_intr.htm

  Origin of Islam:

   The  name  of  this religion, Islam, is derived from the word
"salam,"
   which  is  often  interpreted as meaning "peace." However
"submission"
   would  be  a  better  translation.  A  Muslim  is a follower of
Islam.
   "Muslim"  is  an  Arabic  word  that  refers  to  a person who
submits
   themselves  to  the  will  of  God. Many Muslims feel that the
phrases
   "Islamic terrorist" or "Muslim terrorist," which have been observed
so
   often in the media, are oxymorons.

   Most  religious historians view Islam as having been founded in 622
CE
   by  Muhammad the Prophet (peace be upon him).* He lived from about
570
   to  632  CE). The religion started in Mecca, when the angel Jibreel
   (Gabriel)  read the first revelation to Muhammad (pbuh). (Mohammed
and
   Muhammed  (pbuh)  are  alternate spellings for his name.) Islam is
the
   youngest  of  the  world's very large religions -- those with over
300
   million  members  --  which  include Christianity, Islam, Hinduism
and
   Buddhism.

   *  Muslims  traditionally  acknowledge respect for Muhammad, Jesus
and
   other  prophets  (peace  be  upon  them)  by  adding this phrase or
an
   abbreviation "(pbuh)" after their names.

   However, many if not most of the followers of Islam believe that:

   * Islam existed before Muhammad (pbuh) was born,
   * The origins of Islam date back to the creation of the world,
     and
   * Muhammad (pbuh) was the last of a series of Prophets.

   Followers of Islam are called Muslims. "Allah" is an Arabic word
which
   means  "the One True God." An alternate spelling for "Muslim" that is
   occasionally  used  is  "Moslim";  it is not recommended because it
is
   often  pronounced  "mawzlem":  which  sounds  like  an Arabic word
for
   "oppressor".  Some  Western writers in the past have referred to
Islam
   as  "Mohammedism";  this  is  deeply offensive to many Muslims, as
its
   usage  can  lead  some to the concept that Muhammad the Prophet
(pbuh)
   was in some way divine.