From: William Gray
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: 2004-Nov-04 6:06 AM
Subject: Re: Eliot's Anglicanism -- was  Re: (OT) US Elections: Allustions
to 'christianity'

Peter,
     This is actually an issue I hope to work on in my dissertation.
It's a fairly complex issue, one that I don't fully understand at this
point. I know it has something to do with his roots, but also not --
because he rejected Unitarianism early in his life because it was
unsatisfying. A couple of my Unitarian friends in the T. S. Eliot
society (including a couple who go to the Unitarian church Eliot's
grandfather started) don't like that fact too much and try to pretend as
if it weren't so. What Eliot ended up with -- Anglicanism -- I would
argue is far different than Unitarianism (of course, also far different
than the Eastern religion he had been toying with as well). I'm hoping
it can be shown that there was an inevitable course from his early years
of questioning to his entrance into the Anglican church. I just don't
know how to demonstrate it yet.

Cheers,
Will

>>> [log in to unmask] 11/04/04 03:20AM >>>
It's too long since Ihave read "For Launcelot Andrewes",
but I believe you will find some answers in there. As to
choosing Christianity over the easterns, the answer seems
to have been a matter of finding his roots and going with
the religion of his roots, in order to get to the core
of his religious consciosness. I forget where that is
stated. It isa sort of trueism in Eliot studies.

Cheers,
Peter