On Thu, Nov 04, 2004 at 09:12:37AM -0500, William Gray wrote:
> before. Perhaps you and I would differ in how we react to that. I find it comforting to a degree, since
> this nation was founded on Christian principles -- however, since Christians will always differ a little

I take the view, and I think it's supported by the often rabid disagreements between different factions of
Christianity, that there is no such thing as a "Christian principle".  What many Christians consider to be
principles unique to their faith are in fact general humanitarian principles shared by many faiths.  And as
with all such 'principles', they are *merely* principles and should not be taken as matters of dogma.  To
say nothing of the fact that "Christian principles" regularly seem to have very little to do with anything
that's written in the Bible except perhaps in the most tangential manner, and to have been cherrypicked
according to people's prejudices.  So it is that we have a nation founded upon "Christian" values that has
a death penalty and a right to bear arms but that gets riled up about homosexuals.

--George