--- Nancy Gish <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> There is a vast difference between working
> responsibly, caring for one's
> family, and helping the world be more supportive of
> humans (I would not
> use the word "prosperous" because of its
> connotations) and acquiring
> greater and greater quantities of wealth in fewer
> and fewer hands--which
> has the opposite effect from what you describe.
> Nancy

Millenarianism is a strong component of Protestantism.
The idea comes from Revelations in which Christ is
described as ruling over a kingdom in this world for a
thousand years. Anglicanism derives from the strain of
this which believes it is the responsibility of
humankind to physically prepare this kingdom for
Christ's coming.

I have always wondered about this in relation to the
philosophy that I see in Eliot's writing. How does the
image of failed individuals and failed societies in
Eliot's work relate to the millenarian principles
behind the faith that he actively studied and chose.
Anglicanism with its millenarianism is a faith of this
world. The faithful honor God's will by building a
paradise on this earth. This is in direct contrast to
Buddhism and Roman Catholicism which focus on
preparation for another world.

Eliot studied eastern religions. Why did he choose a
millenarian faith and how is that reflected in the
poems? This sounds like a question set for an
examination. However I really do not know the answer
to this and am asking for information.