I just got back from a quick trip to Mississippi and have some
observations to report.

We had brief stops coming & going at NWRs in Arkansas ( Wapanocca and
Big Lake).  No ducks there, yet...didn't even find a coot!  But did have
some interesting sightings.  Both Ruby-throated and Golden-crowned
Kinglets were flitting around Big Lake (its northern boundary is the
AR/MO state line).

In Mississippi we birded 3 of the lakes along I-55 (by the way, reading
through accumulated Mobirds posts, I surmise that Chris Merkord is a
transplanted Texan--the only state to refer to interstate highways with
IH, rather than I-).  We birded Arkabutla, Sardis and Enid.  Again, no
ducks.  Found Brown-headed Nuthatches on Sardis and were surprised to
see Dark-eyed Juncos already there.  Pine Warblers were abundant.

We went east to Noxubee NWR south of Starkville.  With the aid of
directions from Mark Goodman (a former Missouri birder), we had great
looks at Red-cockaded Woodpecker, some coots, an anhinga, and found
Sedge Wrens in a wet meadow.

Based on our experiences, I would recommend all of the above sites to
Missouri birders wandering south.  The quality of the facilities in MS
are a testament to the value of having a congressional delegation with
outstanding seniority.

Edge Wade
Columbia, MO