With my Birding II class, I found a good variety of water birds late this
afternoon on the Mississippi at the Winfield Dam; these included five
White-winged Scoters associating with Lesser Scaup and Ruddies. Various
other seasonal species earlier in the day. Highlights:

At Winfield Dam:

Gadwall  100
Mallard  a few
Ring-necked Duck  5
Lesser Scaup  80
Ruddy Duck  100
WHITE-WINGED SCOTER  5
Common Loon  5
Am. White Pelican  30
Double-crested Cormorant  100
American Coot  250
Ring-billed Gull  50
Herring Gull  6
Franklin's Gull  20
Bonaparte's Gull  1
Forster's Tern  1
Bald Eagle  2 ad.

At Clarence Cannon NWR, Pike Co.:

Mallard, Gadwall, Green-winged Teal, Pintail in large numbers (100's-1000's)
Smaller numbers of Shoveler, Am. Wigeon
Greater & Lesser Yellowlegs, about 10 each
Dunlin  20+
Least Sandpiper  1
Rusty Blackbird  12
American Pipit  25
plus various expectable species

At B.K. Leach C.A., Lincoln Co.:

Snow Goose   400
Brewer's Blackbird  20
one black Red-tail, apparently juv. Harlan's or Western

At Cuivre River S.P., Lincoln Co.:

Red-shouldered Hawk  1
Purple Finch  20
Hermit Thrush  2