Laura,

I use AviSys for my birding records and it works with my Palm Tungsten T as
well.

As far as binocs go... Personal preferences abound!

I love my Swarovski EL 10x40's...

There is a page on our website that discusses some if the fact about
binoc/scopes:

http://mobirds.org/Tips/optics.htm

Best Wishes, and welcome back!

Patrick Harrison