While birding the beginning of the road leading to the parking lot on the west side of Taberville Prairie, I flushed a dark mid-sized owl from the trees, then saw it fly again through the trees in back. It looked too small, too thin, too narrow-winged and too small-headed to be a Barred Owl and too dark to be a Short-eared or Barn Owl. If it were winter, I would have called it a Long-eared Owl. Is it possible to have a Long-eared Owl in Missouri at this time of year?

Bob Fisher
Independence, Missouri