On a mild day with little wind, we headed for Dabs Road north of Pere
Marquette Park in Illinois in search of the Nelson's Sharp-tailed sparrows found
there last Sunday by Mike Brady and others.  This time  (Monday had  winds of
about 30 miles per hour making sparrowing nearly impossible) with the  help of
sharp-eyed birders and excellent directions from Charlene Malone,  even yours
truly saw the birds and managed to get a scope on a
cooperative individual.

Also of interest in the area were at least 2 Marsh Wrens, flocks of Am  White
Pelicans, a beautiful pumpkin-colored juvenile N Harrier, a female  Cooper's,
a Sora Rail, Song, Swamp,
White-crowned and Savannah sparrows, swarms of Tree Swallows and one  or two
Barn Swallows.  There was a lingering Indigo Bunting, a Meadowlark,  a Common
Yellowthroat and
several Yellow-rumped warblers, a couple of Blue-winged Teal, a few Great
Egrets, a Carolina Wren heard, some Am Crows, Goldfinch, a Red-bellied WP,
Canada Geese.

We left early to leave time to see if the Weil's Rufous Hummer would show
off Conway Road.  Shortly after we arrived about 2pm he was spotted at the
garden feeder making a very pleasant ending to this fall birding day.   Once
again, thank you for sharing.

Jackie Chain
St Louis County