The Franklin's Gull flock has returned to Smithville Lake--somewhere in
the range of 10,000 to 20,000 birds on the main body of the lake. There
were a few Bonaparte's Gulls mixed in, as well. Best viewing in the
morning is from the Crow's Creek picnic arm.

Also a nice flock of 1,000+ DC Cormorants. They'll probably spend the
afternoons back in the cove on the south side of Crow's Creek.

Very small number of ducks, with about 10 Gadwall and 2 Am. Wigeon, and
some Mallards. No grebes or divers to be seen this morning.

A cooperative Sedge Wren posed for me in some cattails around a little
pond at Crow's Creek.

Yesterday afternoon an American Pipit landed in front of me on the road
at the dam. It promptly scurried off into the rip-rap.

Kristi Mayo
Kearney, MO (Clay Co.)