Re: A novel?; a reply to Francis ; was , Re: Tarot and Huxley
Because it moves and evolves and nests itself within the host objects of culture and media like a virus. Because it starts with its own context and eventually merges and recontextualizes. Because it continues to exist in new tongues long after the speech in which it originated has died yet the individual words continue to live and often go on to mean something else.

Watch a new word or phrase grow and spread inside a culture. Some come and go like a brief flareup, some mature and survive. Some lie dormant for a long time within the nerves of our communications systems, opportunistically waiting for a fresh outbreak.