I have pondered this question for a number of days and for a number of days refrained from asking it, for fear of sounding offensive again, but is it really necessary to be an „Elizabethan” (I suspect a scholar in that domain) to know the difference between „Marlowe” and „Marlow”?

Jacek NieŠko

Washington DC

-----Original Message-----
From: T. S. Eliot Discussion forum. [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Rickard A. Parker
Sent: Monday, October 25, 2004 10:35 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Elizabethan? Marlow? : a reply to Peter; was Death by Water, a reply

Jennifer Formichelli wrote:

> Second, the Sibyl a sister to Tiresias (actually, she is a lot more

> like Tithonus)? Hmm. Perhaps there is some resonance between them,

> though we should keep in mind that the Sibyl does not appear in the

> poem, but rather outside of it, in the epigraph (at once a part of the

> poem and apart from it).

Pat Sloane, the late TSE list member, suggested a different idea:

    To make sense out of The Waste Land, we may need to assume that the

    Sibyl of Cumae appears in the poem as a series of male and female

    characters, the ones that possess Greek names-and ambiguous gender.

http://web.missouri.edu/~tselist/sloane12.html

Regards,

    Rick Parker