By the way, it also occurs to me that if Eliot would quote the subtitle, which was not present until the 1615 edition, the additions to the play (including the famous conversation with the painter) might add significantly to understanding the play as Eliot might have. It seems that there are two options:
1. This was the only version of the play Eliot was familiar with.
2. He chose this particular version for some reason.

Will

>>> [log in to unmask] 10/21/04 12:47PM >>>
Rick,
    I hope my comment isn't such common knowledge that it's useless, but I'm sure there's at least one person on this list who might find this interesting. Eliot's quotation in TWL contains one quote from the play (from 4.1.69) and the subtitle to the play. I had always thought that both sentences were quotations from the play, but "Hieronimo is mad againe" is the subtitle of the play, visible on copies like this 1615 quarto:
http://www.elizabethanauthors.com/span6.htm
When I first read the play I spent a long time searching to find the context of both of Eliot's quotations, and was a little embarrassed to realize that the second allusion was the old subtitle. So Eliot's quotation really refers to this aspect of the play in general (Hieronimo's "madness"), not to one particular scene. My apologies if this was already painfully obvious. I found it helpful.

This is a fantastic version of the play, though. I especially like the "Glossary and Appendices" page. Thanks for sharing it.

Cheers,
Will

>>> [log in to unmask] 10/21/04 12:19PM >>>
TWL line 431:
    Why then Ile fit you. Hieronymo's mad againe.

Thomas Kyd's play "The Spanish Tragedy" is online (with modern spellings.)
It's on the "Elizabethan Authors" website.

Acts 1-4:
    http://www.elizabethanauthors.com/span1.htm
    http://www.elizabethanauthors.com/span2.htm
    http://www.elizabethanauthors.com/span3.htm
    http://www.elizabethanauthors.com/span4.htm
Glossary and Appendices
    http://www.elizabethanauthors.com/span5.htm
Notes on the Quartos
    http://www.elizabethanauthors.com/span6.htm

Also, the starting page for Golding's translation of Ovid's Metamorphoses
is at:
    http://www.elizabethanauthors.com/ovid00.htm

Regards,
    Rick Parker