Dear Listers,

I have been writing an essay on Vernon Lee's visitation to Ravenna in 1894,
out of which she wrote a short essay called Ravenna and Her Ghosts. Most of
it deals with the mosaics and early Christain and Byzantine churches in
Ravenna. Since Vernon Lee was much concerned with art, aesthetic and
criticism, she did look at them through a competent eye, though mingled with
her own personal opinion on that kind of early Christian and Byzantine art
which seem to be leading almost to Pagan art.
Yet, I would like to know if anyone knows (or can suggest any books about)
the agreed-upon criticism of early Christian and Byzantine art in the 1890s.
I do know the opinions on Medieval art and times (see the Preraphaelites and
the Gothic clichés) as well as those on the Renaissance (Ruskin, Pater,
Symonds, Lee, etc).
But I was wondering whether there might be any criticism on early
Christianity and Byzantine times, beside the fact that Neoclassicism
despised that kind of art, preferring Roman and Greek Antiquity.
And I have already checked on Mario Praz's The Romantic Agony, whose last
chapter deals with Byzantium in the 1980s but not enough as far as art was
concerned.
Thank you in advance!
Best wishes,
Sara Trevisan