But I appreciate that Jennifer brought up this issue. As Nancy has said, the issue is indeed a big topic -- which is why it's good that we're talking about it. For those of you who have been privileged to share in Jennifer's insightful comments and questions over the past few years, I think it would seem a bit ungrateful to call this remark sophomoric. I am (almost) always happy to qualify my comments because of the differing yet valuable perspectives that others here on the list bring.

Best wishes,
Will

>>> [log in to unmask] 10/22/04 12:05AM >>>
Pound had a gift of creative perception that was really
quite unique, and certainly very
distinct from any of Eliot's talents.

Jennifer is just being sophomoric, a characteristic of
many new graduands.
P.

-----Original Message-----
From: Nancy Gish
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: 2004-Oct-21 3:43 PM
Subject: Re: ???/ Death by Water

I disagree with Jennifer on this one.  There were cases where Eliot
seemed unhappy with changes but took them anyway--he seemed to fret
about giving up the epigraph to H of D, for example.  But more
important,  if the text does have any unity, it was constructed by
Pound's editing I think.  Big topic.
Nancy

So tell us, Jennifer, why was Eliot so
compliant with E.P's and Viv's cuttings?

Peter