Jennifer Formichelli wrote:

> How did you gain permission to publish this piece?
> Do you know who holds the copyright?

On my website I just put up works that were published prior to
January 1, 1923.  These are in the public domain in the U.S.
Outside the U.S. there may still be copyright restrictions and, if so,
the permission of the copyright holder would be required for
republication.  I do not know who might hold the rights.

I've gotten information about copyright and works passing into the
public domain from the U.S. government's Copyright Office.  Their
homepage is at:
    http://www.copyright.gov/

However, Cornell University has a website with legal information on it,
including information about copyright. They have a easy to understand
table called "Copyright Term and the Public Domain in the United States"
at:
    http://www.copyright.cornell.edu/training/Hirtle_Public_Domain.htm

Cornell Copyright Information Center
    http://www.copyright.cornell.edu/

Regards,
    Rick Parker

P.S.  On my webpage I have:

    About the copyright:
    It is my understanding that this work is in the public domain
    in the U.S. but perhaps not in other countries
    (particularly in the U.K. and E.U.) Be careful about republication.