Carrol Cox wrote:

>This has nothing to do with Eliot, but perhaps it will trigger
>something. I've been reading the (1805) _Prelude_. It's been 40 years or
>so since I last read it (1850 version);

But it does.  We have been talking about revision.  (You say though,
Carrol, that you haven't received the posts.  Someone might have them
still.)  CRicks' article, cited by John Stewart, on E's revisions might
be read together with Zachary Leader's, Revision and Romantic
Authorship, where, if I remember rightly, _The Prelude_ is discussed.

>Anyone else on this list a Wordsworth reader? (I have never been
>particularly.) I don't remember Eliot saying anything either positive or
>negative about him.

I don't know about Eliot's having written on him.  I like the growth
from the 150 lines of 1798, to the 1000 or so ten years later, to the
Gargantua and Pantagruel you are (and have) read.  It's all great fun.
I find his Cambridge college miseries are very reassuring.  What sticks
most are the early years: the boat on the lake and his love for his
childhood.

Marcia