From: Rickard A Parker
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: 2004-Oct-27 1:12 PM
Subject: OT - SOS (was Re: Tarot and Huxley)

Peter Montgomery wrote:

> Is SOS not the morse code abbreviation for Save Our Souls?

It didn't stand for anything.  It was chosen to be distinctive
when heard over the radio.

While in Morse code an S is three dots and an O is three
dashes, the distress signal is not SOS because that would
include a pause between each letter.  The distress signal
is three dots followed by three dashes followed by three
dots, all sent as one character.

A webpage reference (of course):
    http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/060199tip6.htm

Regards,