From: Jennifer Formichelli
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: 2004-Oct-26 7:35 AM
Subject: A novel?; a reply to Francis ; was , Re: Tarot and Huxley

Dear Francis,

Yes, I meant Crome Yellow. Thank you.

By the way, I said 'reasonably sure'. Who can be? I can be. Eliot did
not take fortune-telling seriously; everything he has written on the
subject has so suggested. Can someone show otherwise? I believe someone
wrote in to N & Q at some point to show that even the cards in TWL are
incorrect.

Anyhow, my point in writing this post is not that. It is to accept the
gambit.  What gambit?

>> TWL is just a different
>> kind of a novel. As is Prufrock.

TWL a novel? Really? Not to me, nor Prufrock neither. How then do you
define poetry, or verse? Both TWL and Prufrock not only contain
end-rhyme & metre,  and they also contain that piece of punctuation
(and poetry, Eliot noted, is itself a different system of punctuation)
unique to poems and verse: substantial line-endings, which have a
purpose and sound in poetry and verse which they do not have in prose.

Do you still wish to call Prufrock and TWL 'novels'? Ricks writes that
many critics talk about Eliot as though he were a novelist manque.

Yours, Jennifer