From: William Gray
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: 2004-Oct-25 5:57 AM
Subject: Re: Tarot and Huxley

I didn't find anything in the letters, either. But I did appreciate the
opportunity to see Eliot's connections with the Huxleys. I had forgotten
it was Julian who suggested Vittoz to Eliot for his nerves (letter 31
Oct 1921). Interesting.

Will

>>> [log in to unmask] 10/24/04 05:13PM >>>
Hi Tabitha,

There is nothing, so far as I know , in TSE's letters about tarot
cards, though I may be mistaken ( I should think if there were, it
would be only a joke in passing; Eliot and Huxley did not Tarot
together; we can be reasonably sure of that.) . I think you must mean
the similarity of names between Madame Sosostris and  M Sesostris, the
phony fortune teller character who appears in Huxley's Chrome Yellow?
Southam remarks on this in his Student's Guide to the Selected Poems of
TS Eliot, p. 147.

Yours, Jennifer