MOBIRDS:
Jim Jackson and I birded Schell-Osage and Taberville Prairie September 28-29 and found most of the birds Mark Robbins mentioned:
Schell Osage CA-- (highlights)
Pied-billed Grebe 200+
White Pelican 500
Double-crested Cormorant 800
Little Blue Heron 1 imm.
Black-crowned Night Heron 1 adult, 1 imm.
Glossy Ibis (probable) 1 imm.
Killdeer 150+
Yellowlegs (mostly Greater, a few Lesser)
Semipalmated Sandpiper 20
Least Sandpiper 12
Western Sandpiper 4
Pectoral Sandpiper 40
Stilt Sandpiper 11
Long-billed Dowitcher 32
Wilson's Snipe 4
Franklin's Gull 1
Ring-billed Gull 7
Caspian Tern 1
Tree Swallow 2000+
Marsh Wren 1
Great-tailed Grackle 1 female in a flock of common grackles)

Taberville Prairie (highlights)
Northern Harrier 1
Greater Prairie Chicken 2
Scissor-tailed Flycatcher 5 (all males)
Vesper Sparrow 1
LeContes Sparrow 1
Savannah Sparrow 20+
LBJ (little brown job) many

This area (particularly Schell-Osage) deserves watching for a week or two.  We witnessed a change in the weather from calm and warm (9/27) to overcast and chilly (9/28) and the birds really changed from one day to the next.

Good birding

Donald R. Hays
Union, MO