Thinking that perhaps the approaching cold fronts would bring in some birds,
we spent a little while at the Nature Center in Rolla.  Saw a Northern
Parula, an Eastern Towhee, two Tufted Titmice, Black-capped Chickadees too
numerous to count, Blue Jays also too many to count, one House Wren, one
White-Breasted Nuthatch, one female Summer Tanager and a Northern
Waterthrush.

Then, deciding not to waste a wonderful morning, went to Little Prairie
Lake.  There, in a dead snag on the western end of the lake, was an adult
Osprey.  At the boat ramp, we also saw a Pied-Billed Grebe.

It is taking me a while to re-learn woods birding--for one thing, my 20x50
binoculars are not very good for woods birding.  For another, you spend a
lot of time standing still waiting for the little boogers to reappear in the
tree tops and undergrowth.  And the birds are generally a WHOLE lot smaller
and move a WHOLE lot faster than most of what I am accustomed to seeing.

Dorothy Lambert
Rolla, Phelps County