From: MO Wild Bird Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of
A Birder
Sent: Thursday, September 23, 2004 3:57 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Gull tragedy-or is it?

All,

I'm not one who typically likes to post to these sort of things, but
this hubbub has driven me over the edge!

I continues to amaze me how so many opinionated birders will squabble,
fight, and call each other names over such small things like one dead
gull.
A gull! These are the birds that are in the thousands, heck, hundreds of
thousands, at garbage dumps! Can you think of any endangered gulls in
our area? Didn't think so.

Yet, when really big issues come up that NEED our involvement, such as
support for bird conservation programs, or vice versa, their defense-
none of us know it all birders show up. We're more concerned with
getting more species for our life lists.

My point, instead of uniting together under things that we have in
common, like supporting shade grown coffee, stopping habitat loss, and
supporting bird friendly legislation, we all jump on some poor
researcher or whatever that no one has the guts to call out by name.
Guess what, folks? The people who would love to dam every river, drill
for oil in the arctic, and clearcut every forest are well-organized,
speak with a coordinated message, and show up to public meetings and
make their opinions known WHEN IT COUNTS. Can you say the same for
yourselves???

Think about it for a second!

An Old Bird from Missourah

FREE!