A couple of things.

1. It does seem as though a lot of the posting of directions has been
left to Charlene.

2. We do come up with names for spots that aren't shown on various
maps, and we refer to landmarks that might no longer exist.

3. One of the great things about the web is that pages can be easily
updated - books can't.

OK, that's 3 things.

I've been one of the offenders in asking people to repost directions,
usually because the original got lost in the hundreds of posts in my
inbox or because it was accidently deleted.

Maybe people who manage websites for their local birding groups (SLAS
and WGNSS for Saint Louis) wouldn't find it to be such a chore to
include directions if they would invite people to copy the site's
webmaster when directions are posted on mobirds.  Coding is trivial.

*****************
Sherry McCowan
Saint Louis, Missouri

On Sep 26, 2004, at 7:38 PM, Charlene and Jim Malone wrote:

> [...]
> to the
> list I will reply in kind:
>
> With all due respect,  I have mentioned that the "Hazlet Pavilion" is
> labeled the Olympic Shelter in a past post, but I have REPEATED info
> about
> the Carlyle sightings so often, I don't know when & what listserve.
> If there were any questions or uncertainties about directions, a simple
> phone call/e-mail to me directly could have rectified that issue.
>
> To avoid re-issuing directions over and over and over and over and
> over and
> over, it would also help if the birding co-ordinates of the various
> spots
> could be corrected on the WGNSS (Webster Groves Nature Study Society)
> website, but it is my understanding that is not happening any time soon
> (supposedly Mapblast's problems??)
> Maybe written directions for all the various birding locations on the
> SLAS's
> (St. Louis Audubon Society) and/or WGNSS's website?? I know it's a
> pretty
> kooky suggestion, but I don't see that happening any time soon because:
> 1) no one wants to invest in all the time it would take. Besides, why
> to do
> this when there is a book one can purchase for this info.
> 2) Why do it, when "someone else" will do it via Mobirds for free.
>
> In the past when others have needed directions to various spots
> in MO, it was suggested that those people making the inquiries should
> consult the book, "A Guide to Birding in Missouri" by the Audubon
> Society of
> MO, the MDC (MO Department of Conservation) Atlas, "Missouri's
> Conservation
> Atlas: A guide to Exploring your  Conservation Lands" or other free
> maps
> distributed by MDC.
>
> For those that may not have gotten the information in past posts, from
> now
> on, I HIGHLY recommend that if anyone wishes to find directions to
> birding spots in the St. Louis area to consult one of the following
> books:
> - "Birds of the St. Louis Area:Where and When to find them" By Paul
> Bauer,
> Connie Alwood, Randy Korotev, *Anderson and *Van Benthuysen.
> *deceased. OR
> BETTER YET, please contact the the living authors directly.
> Info on purchasing this book can be obtained on the WGNSS website >
> www.wgnss.org
> - For spots in IL, including CARLYLE LAKE, please purchase the"Birds of
> Illinois" by Sheryl DeVore. It can be purchased on www.amazon.com or
> at the
> ABA (American Birding Association) on-line store.
>
> With everyone buying these books there should be NO more problems in
> finding
> birds seen in the St. Louis area.
> WOOHOO! I just suddenly discovered a lot more free time........where's

>>> IL