I was real impessed with Chris' message equating the loss of the gull
with
lower can insurance. No doubt, I'll save that as an example of a
professional email and a good use of a listserve.

As for taking the bird, it seems that a better plan would have been to
net it, take a feather for analysis and release.

As for all the confusion about identifying the bird. Ifs not an exact
science. The experts aren't out in the field all the time. A lot of
amateurs clue people in on this list.

I think this shows that visual observations really can change due to
time of day, lighting conditions, angle of view and subjectivity of the
birder.

Taking a photograph didn't help. Different digital cameras register
different colots differently. And factor in all the other things noted
above. With film, at least a standard film and processing would lessen
a lot of this, but coloc is not an exact science. Any post procession
and manipulation of the image would jsut counfound things.

The best that can be said of all of this, is, a lot of birders spent a
lot of time and energy trying to collect a lot of information to sort
this one out. I think mobirds did well on this one.

But as far as Chris Hobbs, I'm still wondering if Bush was in Missouri
and went duck hunting and took a gull.

regards.

Frank Schiffel
Lakeville NY