If the gull was killed deliberately merely for an ID, I hope whoever did
it is too ashamed to publicly state his/her name.  The small gain to
"science" is way outweighed by the larger loss to conservation.  And,
just having a collector's permit does not authorize one to kill birds
protected under the Migratory Bird Act.  There are a couple other steps
involved.  Sheesh, the birding code of ethics tells us that we are not
supposed even to unduly disturb a bird in pursuit of an id.  Chris H's
original message implied strongly that the bird was deliberately
killed.  If that is the case, I hope that the collector/killer reads
these messages and reflects on how little the gain is compared to the
loss to conservation and to the Missouri birders who might have wanted
to look at this beautiful gull again.

Sorry like the rest of you,

Susan Treesh
Somerset, NJ