This morning, 9/25, The St. Louis Audubon Society joined the Illinois Ornithological Society for what was supposed to be a whole day of birding in and around Carlyle Lake, IL.  What a great day to be out with new and old friends!!  Here are the highlights:

IL: Hazlet SP-Cherokee Trail
14 Species of warblers including:  (1) Northern Waterthrush, (1) Golden-winged Warbler, (1) Wilson's Warbler, (1) Bay-breasted Warbler and (1-2) Blackburnian Warblers
1-Philadelphia Vireo
1- juvenile Black Billed Cuckoo

IL: Pontoon Boat Ride on Carlyle Lake
1-Parasitic Jaeger (a very pale bird):  Please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe most are still leaning toward this bird being a 2nd year bird.  (have not done my research yet).
3-Eared Grebe; all in non-breeding plumage
3-Red-necked Phalarope; all in non-breeding plumage
~30-35 Forster's Terns sitting on the water with a couple of Common Terns mixed in.
1-Franklins Gull
Neither the Long Tailed Jaegers nor the Sabines Gulls were observed while out in the boats today.

At first we were planning to head to Parking Lot #3 after lunch.  However, after hearing of the Black Skimmer at REDA, it was an easy decision to decide to head back to MO.

MO:  REDA-Lincoln Shields
1-BLACK SKIMMER.   Very Cool!!  Hope it stays until tomorrow for all of you en route..  We last observed the bird ~6PM, as I posted earlier, as it headed down river.

MO:  REDA-Heron Pond
2-American Avocets

MO:  REDA-Teal Pond
2-Black Tern

What an amazing day to be birding around St. Louis...
Josh Uffman
St. Louis County, MO

Joshua Uffman
St. Louis County, MO