I have no dispute with anything said by Dr. McKenzie or Tim Barksdale. I simply want to know why the collector or the collecting institution cannot stand up and explain why the bird was taken. Dr. Mckenzie was good enough to take his valuable time to shed some light on the situation to try to calm people down. Tim Barksdale made a similar effort and I see by his address he's in Montana.
I think this furor could have been avoided if someone had come forward immediately after the bird was taken and explained why it was done.
I think the lack of any explanation on the part of the collector or the institution is irresponsible, particularly because the bird was taken to a tax-supported, public institution. All that's needed now is a state legislator or two, or a couple of politically-connected birders, to make the situation worse.
Waiting for the fall ASM meeting to reveal the identity of the collector, presumably so he can explain what was done and why, may well be too late. The ill-will created by the incident will have had time to fester. As Pete Jantzen pointed out the outrage created by collecting can have far-reaching and long-lasting ramifications.

Jack Cowan