From: "Robert Fisher" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Friday, September 03, 2004 11:56 AM
Subject: Wierd Duck

> Did anyone write up a description of the bird? If so, can we see it?
>
> Am I seeing things? It appears to me in the second and third photos that
the bird has a red eye. If so, the only common ducks that I know to have red
eyes are male Wood Ducks and male Red-breasted Mergansers.

> Ducks that have large bills include Shovelers, Ruddy Ducks, Canvassbacks,
scoters and eiders.  The shape of the bill seems more like a Shoveler's,
Ruddy's or Canvassback's than like a scoter's. It does not resemble the bill
of either a King or Common Eider.

> The bird looks too short and too high in the water to be a scoter.
>
> I have heard of Hooded Mergansers hybridizing with Common Goldeneye --
i.e. the genus Buescephala crosses with the genus Mergus. Does anyone know
of a cross between Aythya (the genus that includes scaup, Ring-necked Ducks,
Canvassbacks, redheads and Tufted Ducks) and some other genus?

> Why is not the bird a molting first year male Tufted Duck? A molting male
Ring-necked duck?