When we lived in Wisconsin, I can remember one year, where the migration
corridor came right through Wausau where we lived.  As I rode my mountain bike
home everynight from the bikeshop I worked at (STILL one of my best jobs!!), I
was treated to the site of THOUSANDS of Nighthawks migrating through every
night for a whole week.  I remember stopping one night to talk to a few
oldtimers, as we marveled at the site.  We watched in awe as hundreds flew,
dove or hunted in a field across the street.  The most marvelous site was
watching the nightjars hunt and dive around a group of children who were
watching the winged friends with cackling delight!  Not ONCE did a bird hit
another, nor did the birds hit a child by mistake.

To this day, that has to be the greatest display of flight I have ever seen.
That ranks right up there with watching teal or bufflehead or any other small
waterfowl latch on and draft behind Loons migrating along the Lake Superior
corridor at 60+ mph.

Good birding, and thank you for the "jarring" of my memory.

Lynn Miller
Lone Jack, MO
Jackson CO