We could not band birds this morning because of the rain, so I made a
somewhat belated morning trip to the oxbows area south of Saint Joseph. Not a whole
lot going on. Some Pectoral, Least, Spotted and Semipalmated Sandpipers were at
Lake Contrary and one Caspian Tern. I did not see the Western Sandpiper
today, it "hung around" for about a week. Over by Muskrat Lake I had two Loggerhead
Shrike, one near Lake Contrary. About 30 American White Pelicans and a lone
Great Blue Heron were on Mud Lake. (I believe there are five Mud Lakes within a
50 mile radius of Saint Joseph! I wonder how many Mud Lakes there are in
Missouri. Good trivia question!) The Common Nighthawks had really been passing
over Saint Joseph today. I counted about 35 in one loose flock and about 40 in
another.

Oh, and the Bewick's Wren was back in our yard this morning. It appeared when
the rain abated. It has been with us for so long (since July 23) that Brenda
has even given it a name. Beki (as in Be Key). I just call it "the wren" or
bewickii.

When are we going to get our next Snowy Owl, Swallow-tailed Kite, etc. in
Missouri?

Good Birding to All,

Larry Lade
Saint Joseph, Buchanan County