First of all, the Bewick's Wren which had been coming to our yard on a daily
basis since July 23, was last seen in our yard on August 12. I just hope that
it decided to move on and was not "on the menu" of one of the stray house cats
which roam our neighborhood from time to time!

There were are few more shorebirds at Lake Contrary this morning. When I
arrived at the lake, I found an Eurasian Collared-Dove getting its morning drink
at the edge of the lake. Subsequently, mingling with the abundant Killdeer, I
found Pectoral Sandpipers (10), Least Sandpipers (10), a Semipalmated Sandpiper
juvenile, a Spotted Sandpiper, attired in its basic plumage and a juvenile
Western Sandpiper, which is losing its rufous coloration of the scapulars. This
Western Sandpiper has been at the lake for four or five days now.

I drove down to Sugar Lake at Lewis and Clark SP near Atchison and saw four
American White Pelicans and not much else. That is until I drove to the
observation deck at the south end of the lake. This is a very nice site and I believe
shows much potential for good shorebird, wader and waterfowl viewing. The
water of the lake is into the vegetation at the present time and I was not seeing
many birds of any kind, except the ever-present swallows. As I was standing
enjoying the panoramic view of the lake, @20 Forster's Tern flew by, in a
little bit @10 Black Terns made their passage, followed shortly by two Caspian Tern
and finally and "least" were six Least Terns. Following my visit to Sugar
Lake, I stopped by Frances's and Georgia's Cabin at nearby Bean Lake. A check of
their feeders and yard produced a lot of American Goldfinches, some House
Finches, Eastern Bluebirds, a House Wren and some Red-headed Woodpeckers. That is
about it for now!

Larry Lade
Saint Joseph, Buchanan County
Northwest Missouri