I've had a call from Martha's Vineyard.  The Missouri carload (Patrick,
Tommie, Connie and Jerry) were watching the falcon at 8:40 MO time.  No
word about the Clintons or other notables on the island.  They planned
to head for South Beach on Cape Cod for shorebirds later.

As to heading for the falcon:

Current wisdom is that with the bird in heavy molt, it is unlikely he
will attempt a long flight until about the second or third week of
September.

Jean's cheap ticket find to NYC looks pretty good, but skip the part
about going to Boston.  Take a look at a map.  (Another possible airport
is Hartford, CT)

Best route to Cape Cod keeps you south of Boston.  Go via I-95, I-495,
MA 25, MA 28 (over the Bourne bridge), down to Falmouth (where the ferry
parking lots are), then onto ferry at Woods Hole.  Parking is $15 per
day, free shuttle to the ferry--it can be 4 to 15 miles, depending on
which lot is open.  Round trip ferry is $12.

On the island side, you have 2 options:  share a taxi (expensive if only
one or two of you).  Better option is to take the #1 bus into Edgartown
(Church St. is the transfer point), then board the #8 to South Beach and
ask the driver to stop at Katama airfield (they know you are looking for
the bird and where to stop).  $6 buys you an all day pass on all the
buses.

If you plan to go and would like clarification/more details, email me.

Edge Wade
Columbia, MO