Today we had a joint venture of the Midland Empire Audubon Society of Saint
Joseph and the Burroughs Audubon of Kansas City exploring the Lake Contrary
area. After lunch at Long John Silver's we did a quick trip to Bluff Woods CA,
Halls, MO. There were five participants from the Kansas City area: Atkinson,
Gearheart, Hewins, Morris and Thompson. And five participants from the Saint
Joseph area: Lade, Nagel, Nash, Rushin and Webb. Our list of species seen was not
long, but I believe a good time was had by all. We spent the majority of our
time at the boat dock/swimming area at Lake Contrary studying the various
shorebirds. I wanted to be there before the boaters, dog walkers, swimmers, sun
bathers, fisherman, etc. would arrive and make birding there a little more
difficult (if not impossible). Below is a list of the birds I recorded, some were
seen by one/several member/s and not others in the group. These I have noted in
(  ).

American White Pelican
Great Blue Heron
Great Egret
Canada Goose
Blue-winged Teal
Wood Duck
Turkey Vulture
Cooper's Hawk, 3
Red-tailed Hawk
American Kestrel
Northern Bobwhite
Killdeer
Solitary Sandpiper
Spotted Sandpiper
Long-billed Dowitcher, 2 juveniles
Semipalmated Sandpiper
Western Sandpiper
Least Sandpiper
Pectoral Sandpiper
Caspian Tern
Black Tern
Rock Pigeon
Mourning Dove
Eurasian Collared-Dove (Gearheart)
Yellow-billed Cuckoo
Common Nighthawk (roosting on a utility wire)
Chimney Swift
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Red-headed Woodpecker
Downy Woodpecker
Eastern Kingbird
Eastern Wood-Pewee (Gearheart)
Horned Lark
Tree Swallow
Bank Swallow
Northern Rough-winged Swallow
Barn Swallow
Cliff Swallow
Purple Martin
Blue Jay
Black-capped Chickadee
Tufted Titmouse
White-breasted Nuthatch
Northern Mockingbird (Hewins)
American Robin
Eastern Bluebird
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher (Gearheart)
Cedar Waxwing
Loggerhead Shrike
European Starling
Warbling Vireo (Gearheart, et.al.)
Yellow Warbler
House Sparrow
[sp] meadowlark
Red-winged Blackbird
Orchard Oriole
Baltimore Oriole
Common Grackle
Brown-headed Cowbird
Northern Cardinal
House Finch
American Goldfinch
Lark Sparrow
Chipping Sparrow

A special thanks to Tom Nagel who provided a van for this outing!

Larry Lade (Trip leader)
Saint Joseph, Buchanan County