I hadn't heard about this, but it's pretty cool -- a new
species
of rail, and it's flightless.  They make an interesting
point
about extinction on islands.  I've heard estimates that
prior to
human settlement (just a few thousand years ago) as many
as 2,000 additional species existed on islands in the
Pacific.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/science/08/17/
environment.bird.reut/index.html