My yard is one that gets no hummers until near the end of July every year.
I always put my feeders out in early April and try to keep them relatively
fresh all summer.  The downy WPs visit my feeders all summer long.  One
feeder is near the corner of the house which has cedar shingles; the birds
just hang on the shingles and reach over.

I've tried to watch to see if a dominant male hummer would defend his feeder
from a WP, but haven't managed to catch one at it.  However, last summer, I
observed a female hummer and female downy eating side-by-side.  I personally
don't mind seeing the WPs, whether at the nectar, peanut or suet feeders.
My husband thinks I am attracting them to our yard, and this is a bad thing
since they have pecked some significant holes in the cedar shingles in the
past.  But I feel that, if I give them other yummy stuff, they might leave
the house alone.

Susan Eaton
Kirkwood, St. Louis CO.,MO