I've been enjoying everyone's posts about Missouri birds the past week and
a half (I'm excited to get back and bird there!). I've spent the last 10
days near Santa Fe, NM and down here outside of Mexico City. I didn't
expect to have too much time to bird since it's a research trip (and I was
told that the area around Mexico City wasn't great for birds....that may be
compared to the rest of the country, but I'm having a blast!), but I've
managed to find time here and there (go out before meetings, spend
lunchtime birding, etc.), and so far I have 35 new ticks for my life list,
with 3 more pending photo ID when I get the chance to upload photos in a
couple weeks. My favorites have been the GREAT KISKADEE and VERMILLION
FLYCATCHER, which are fairly common here in Texcoco and Tlaltizapan, as
well as a GOLDEN-CHEEKED WOODPECKER (I didn't even know this bird existed
until today). Also, I have plans to go to the Gulf Coast of Florida next
week (pending the weather). Would a day of birding be worth it after a
hurricane or two if the weather is otherwise agreeable to the trip? Or
would the birds probably be blown away for the time being?