I've noticed it periodically through the spring and summer, and as recently as about 10 days ago (assuming it's the same bird each time). Never saw it fly.   I may have overlooked it on some trips, as it spends a lot of time underwater.   It never changed to breeding plumage. Could it be a first-summer bird?