Charley Burwick and I observed a strange-looking brown bird at Clarence Cannon yesterday.  After some study, we identified it as an immature Hooded Merganser.  Some of its features do not necessarily look duck-like, and its lack of a crest adds to the potential confusion.  However, its webbed (not lobed) feet, hooked upper mandible, long tail, small size (we saw it with a yellowlegs), and warm brown color identify it as a hoodie.

We first saw the bird standing at the edge of a pool.  Its legs are set far back and wide apart, so it walks with difficulty.  The bird has a dark eye and a pale lower mandible.  It lacks any readily observable crest.  Its undertail coverts are barred.

Note that Sibley's illustration of an immature hoodie is misleading at best.  The bird we observed at Cannon looks similar to the one in this picture: http://www.camacdonald.com/birding/ErikKleyheeg/HoodedMerganser(EK).jpg

David
Springfield, MO