Lower Stump Lake, Jersey county, ILLINOIS 8/4/04

Dave Rogles was right, this area IS the motherload of shorebirds for the
area.
12 species of shorebirds including with what I believe to have been a
WESTERN SANDPIPER.
Think one of the hotshot birders could have pulled out more species, I am
sure.
You definitely need patience, an umbrella for shade and plenty of water to
drink to sort through the hundreds (maybe low one thousands) of common
shorebirds.

Also, there was a motherload of big waders and ducks.
Saw one male R-N duck as well.

I observed the birds from the boat ramp and also on top of the grassy levee
at the other corner of the same parking lot across from the Pere Marquette
Visitor center.
Bring bug spray for standing on the grassy levee. Chiggers abound.
Viewed birds in between rain storms up there (11 AM to about 1 PM)
NOT the best time of the day to be there, but thankfully it was cloudy and
the temps lower because of the rain. The wind did start to pick while there,
so it only added to the list of difficulties.
Did not go down Dabbs Road, but it looked as if the majority of the
shorebirds were gathered at the end where I was located, but think there
were shorebirds at that end too.
Don't know how long the water will hold out.
Maybe if there is a little rain.......to the end of this week??

nitie-nite,
Charlene Malone
St. Louis co.