Hi Kristi, et. al.,

Just a short note. We birded REDA (July 29) for about four hours on our way
out to Indiana (nephew's wedding). We got a Western Kingbird, five Eurasian
Tree Sparrow, flock (on the way to new Confluence Park) of @ 500 Great Blue
Herons, Great Egrets, Snowy Egrets and Little Blue Herons. An adult female Gadwall
with five ducklings (in Teal Pond). Also that strange looking "Ring-necked
Duck" in Teal Pond. *Also ran into the Webster Groves "Thursday" Group over at
Lincoln Shields Area.

On our way out to Indiana we stayed over night at an Econo Lodge in
Effingham, Illinois. As we pulled in noticed a couple of doves sitting on a utility
wire beside their parking lot. I followed them when they flew to some wires to
the rear of the motel. They joined a flock Eurasian Collared Doves. They were
gathering to nest in two very large Post Oak Trees in the motels courtyard. I
counted SIXTY-FIVE (65). There were probably more like 100. I had never seen
that many at one time.

We stopped in Columbia on the way back home to Saint Joseph. I birded with
Edge Wade at EBCA in Columbia this morning (Aug 2) and saw a few shore birds, a
couple of Bald Eagles, herons and egrets, and a Blue Grosbeak. We checked out
a nearby "sod farm", but there were no Buff-breasted Sandpipers there.

After we got back to Saint Joseph and were eating supper, Brenda looked out
at the feeders and said, "There's the WREN". I was surprised that it would
still be in our yard (we had been seeing it for about week, before we left for
Indiana). I looked, and it was on the peanut feeder and then flew back to the
brush pile. There it was joined by another wren, another Bewick's Wren! So we
witnessed two in our yard today. Kristi, I hope you have found yours for this
year! If not come on up for another try!

Later,

Larry