Bird flew away from us.  I was not able to see front area of wing--bird
was on the left of the car, I was on the right--don't know about the
other observers.  The area I saw was solid white, on the trailing edge
of the wing.

In addition to other comments:

1.  There was no white showing in the wing of the bird as it sat/swam in
the water.
2.  There was no apparent tail.
3.  The rear of the bird was higher than the shoulder (part of the grebe
jizz)
4.  As to bill, it was so thick that there was no resemblance to a
merganser.