In a word.....it stinks.

Even the Killdeer numbers are low.

There ARE shorebirds at Lower Stump, Jersey co IL (water levels went back
down), but looked to be the usual stuff (gotta' go earlier in the day or
later when the heat distortion is not so bad)
New shorebird spot (if you want to drive a bazillion miles)
We went up to Bim's Road (now Bloom's Landing) part of Two Rivers NWR,
outside of Brussels, IL. Looks as if they lowered the water levels to grow
duck food.
Lots of habitat, but one needs to bushwhack one's way through the overgrown
old entrance to get a good viewing spot. From the boatramp, birds were too
far away. Heat distortion was a killer too. Grass is the right length to
support Buffies, but did not find any. We did NOT try to make our way
through the undergrowth or around the edges of the drawn down lake. (was not
that adventuresome).
Probably would have been good a week or so ago.
Wouldn't it be GREAT if they put in a boardwalk & viewing platforms down
this side of the lake, much like they have at Chautaqua NWR??

We both dipped on the Buffie at the Hwy 94/Hwy B Sod Farm.

Hope other birders had better luck than we did.

Weather was just too nice.

Charlene Malone
St. Louis co.