As we were deciding on our day plan at Des Peres park, Margie Richardson
looked up and spotted 2 Mississippi Kites circling overhead.  We then  stopped by
to check on the Scissor-tailed Flycatcher at Missouri Bottom road (no  luck)
on the way to find Charlene's buff-breasted sandpiper off Boschertown  Rd.  It
was feeding where they had cut a row of sod nearer the barn  than Hwy B,
hobnobbing with starlings and cowbirds.

We did a pit stop at the Mueller Rd soccer park, and as soon as we stepped
out of the cars a large falcon flew overhead, trailing a jess or jesses.   Jean
Cook was hearing kestrel, not peregrine, but the mystery was solved when a
kestrel dive-bombed the peregrine.  The young peregrine returned the favor
without apparent bloodshed, and both birds disappeared.

One Collared dove was seen at the Machens farm at 94 and Powers.   Seven or
eight kestrels were on Dwiggens Rd.  At Riverlands the waters were  just below
flood, so after lunch we drove on up to Pere Marquette access to  Stump Lake.

Gorgeous day, impeccable habitat, loads of great egrets and little blues,
hundreds of small, medium and a few medium large shorebirds.  (Read peeps,
pects, and yellowlegs), but nothing exciting was identified.

We decided to take a life ferry at Grafton to celebrate the extraordinary
weather.  It is $6.25 per car one way; the scenery is beautiful; and it  saves
much time and many miles.  It lets you out at Grafton Ferry Rd in St  Charles
County near Smart Field, so it's a fast track back to 94, 370, 270 and  Des
Peres Park.  A great day to be out.

Jackie Chain
St Louis