From: "Margy Terpstra" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Thursday, August 05, 2004 3:16 PM
Subject: Katy Trail, Lost Valley and a great lunch! 8/5/04

Hi everyone,

Four of us (Tina Weyman, Linda Yust, Pat Lueders and Margy Terpstra) went
out to the Katy and Lost Valley Trails this absolutely beautiful morning to
bird.  Met Steve Ewer from Michigan, who had found the Painted Bunting
already for us.  The PABU was singing mostly in the small, bushy cottonwood
across the slough on the west side of the drive.  (I did get some pictures
which I will send to Patrick to post on the ASM website.)  We had a total of
52 birds, including Blue Grosbeak, Dickcissel, Horned Lark juvies, both
Orioles, and other typical summer residents.  We had planned ahead to try a
place for lunch just 2 miles west of the Lost Valley parking lot - Wine
Country Gardens and Cafe.  It was GREAT!!  Food was delicious - salad, warm
quesadillas or pork sandwich, etc., with desserts and drinks.  So often, we
had hoped to find a place nearby for a light meal, and this was a gorgeous
setting.  The house is 120 years old, with a beautiful wrap around porch,
covered with a trellis, and containers of all kinds full of plants.  The
tables are outside on the porch.  They have perennials and shrubs for sale,
and you can walk through all of the beds of plants.  Of course, the day was
delightful with a very nice breeze up on this hillside.  Again, this is just
2 miles west of the Lost Valley parking lot!  It was a nice way to finish a
morning's leisurely birding.

Margy Terpstra
Kirkwood ,MO